Premier League outfit Manchester City have a knack for signing expensive defenders, and have now equaled a record with Kyle Walker.
City announced the signing of the right back for £50m on a five-year deal on Friday.
— Manchester City (@ManCity) July 14, 2017
The fee makes Walker the joint most expensive defender in the world alongside Chesea centre-back David Luiz.
Manchester City might end up spending more than £90m on defenders this season, as Pep Guardiola has shown interest for Monaco left-back Benjamin Mendy, who is priced at
These are very good additions, especially after the release of full-backs Gael Clichy, Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna this summer, but aren’t the sums a little bit ridiculous for defenders?
In the light of this, this is a top ten list of the most expensive defenders, with Man City responsible for four of them:
10. Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund to Bayern Munich) – £30m
9. Eric Bailly (Villarreal to Man United) £30m
8. Nicolas Otamendi (Valencia to Man City) £31.5m
7. Eliaquim Mangala (Porto to Man City) – £32m
6. Thiago Silva (AC Milan to PSG) – £33m
5. David Luiz (PSG to Chelsea) – £34m
4. Shkodran Mustafi (Valencia to Arsenal) – £35m
3. John Stones (Everton to Man City) – £47.5m
1. David Luiz (Chelsea to PSG) – £50m
1. Kyle Walker (Tottenham to Man City) – £50m